Using your BOL e-mail alias to effectively filter messages
E-mails sent to your BOL e-mail alias normally go into your actual BOL e-mail address’ inbox. Although users CANNOT change their BOL e-mail address, they can setup a filter in conjunction with their e-mail alias to effectively simulate having a second mailbox.
- First create an e-mail alias at: http://www.bol.ucla.edu/services/accounts/alias/
- Login to BOL Webmail at: https://mail.ucla.edu
- Access the Folder Navigator and create a new mail folder for your alias.
- Click on ‘Filters’ in the left hand navigation menu.
- Click on ‘New Rule’.
- Fill in the field ‘If message ’To:’ contains:’ with your e-mail alias.
- Mark the box next to ‘File Into:’ and select the folder you created in Step 3.
- Click ‘Save Changes’ and enable the filter.
Example of Use: A user complaining about spam can continue to give out their actual BOL e-mail address when signing up for mailing lists, online shopping, non-personal correspondence…etc. The BOL e-mail alias can act as your personal e-mail address that you do not advertise and only give out to select individuals.