3D Printing Resources
Some UCLA 3D printing groups—
- Avengineering, http://18hats.net/a/home/
- Ozcan Research Group, http://innovate.ee.ucla.edu/
- UCLA’s student-run 3D printing club
_ _ _ _
Some 3D Printing resources from Doug Daniels—
- A Model for Managing 3D Printing Services in Academic Libraries, http://www.istl.org/13-spring/refereed1.html
- Massachusetts Governor Announces Funding for Innovative Technology Assistance Center at Quinsigamond Community College, http://www.mass.gov/governor/pressoffice/pressreleases/2014/0512-governor-patrick-announces-funds-for-innovation-center.html
- MakerBot and Florida Polytechnic University Partner to Bring MakerBot 3D Printing to the Florida Poly RAD Makerspace, http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140723006381/en/MakerBot-Florida-Polytechnic-University-Partner-Bring-MakerBot#.VHz71pDF_qu
- SUNY New Paltz Gets First Innovation Center, http://www.makerbot.com/blog/2014/06/25/makerbot-stories-university-gets-first-innovation-center/
For those with a little extra time and a Netflix account, I highly recommend the documentary called Print the Legend, http://www.netflix.com/printthelegend.
Free, open access repositories of 3D models ready to be printed:
- Makerbot Thingiverse, http://www.thingiverse.com/
- GrabCAD, http://grabcad.com/, an excellent repository for engineers
- The Smithsonian 3D Collection of Artifacts and Fossils, http://3d.si.edu/browser
- More fossils from the Smithsonian, http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/3d-collection
- Substantial fossil collection from the British Geological Survey and others, http://www.3d-fossils.ac.uk/home.html
The first, A Model for Managing 3D Printing Services in Academic Libraries is a very good scholarly write-up of an existing 3D printing service at the University of Alabama that I highly recommend.
( many thanks to Doug Daniels for the above links! )
_ _ _ _
- Up and Running with 3D Printing, http://www.lynda.com/3D-Animation-Prototyping-tutorials/Up-Running-3D-Printing/151814-2.html
- 3D Printing Project: Designing a Replacement Part, http://www.lynda.com/3D-Animation-Prototyping-tutorials/3D-Printing-Project-Designing-Replacement-Part/164026-2.html
- Getting Started with MakerBot 3D Printers, http://www.lynda.com/CAD-Prototyping-tutorials/Getting-Started-MakerBot-3D-Printers/156544-2.html
- 3D Scanning a Person, http://www.lynda.com/CAD-Product-Design-tutorials/3D-Scanning-Person/185327-2.html
- Getting Started with MakerBot, http://proquest.safaribooksonline.com/book/-/9781449338640
Microsoft Virtual Academy—
- 3D Printing Essentials, http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/3d-printing-essentials
_ _ _ _
- The Makers by Cory Doctorow is a fascinating science fiction novel with 3D printing as a central element. The book is free for download with a Creative Commons license.
If you have any other suggestions, please add them. Thanks!