CCLE-Moodle: What to try if users can't login
This article may be very old. Please reach out to local support staff if you have questions.
This article is directed at Moodle support staff.
Moodle users need to authenticate using UCLA’s Shibboleth service. If there is a problem in the authentication chain, users will not be able to login. Since there is a number of steps in the chain of applications behind the CCLE, the problem could be caused by any one of a number of steps. Below is a test process; the goal is to capture information at each step and send it to the appropriate people.
Specific Use Cases are highlighted here: http://kb.ucla.edu/articles/moodle-needs-certain-shibboleth-attributes
- PROD (Production http://ccle.ucla.edu)
1. Try logging into PROD yourself
- This will tell you if the problem is with the individual user’s account or is more wide-spread
2. Try logging into MyUCLA
- This will tell you if Shibboleth service is working correctly and if the problem is specific to PROD
3. Try logging into Moodle with a local account, such as an Admin account or the janebruin test account
- This will tell you if Moodle is partially working correctly
4. If the user is logged into PROD successfully, but sees a warning that they need an email address listed, please note the UCLA logon.
5. If the user is logged into PROD successfully, but their name is not displayed correctly, please ask the user to log into https://ccle.ucla.edu/auth/shibboleth/shib_test.php and ask the user to copy the text.
Who do I send the information to?
Immediately send all the information to both:
Ideally, the e-mail will include details of the problem with supporting information such as error messages, date and time, and/or in which system (i.e., CCLE) the error occurred.
Caution: Even after this testing, the results may not be clear. In a recent episode, testers were not able to log into PROD or DEV, yet were able to confirm Shibboleth was working with WhoAmI? (The issue turned out to be a secondary Shibboleth server not acting properly.)
On Shibboleth: http://kb.ucla.edu/articles/shibboleth
Shibboleth Use Cases: http://kb.ucla.edu/articles/moodle-needs-certain-shibboleth-attributes