Change the default save location in Microsoft Office
To customize the default save location in Microsoft Office. This may be particularly useful in later versions of Microsoft Office as the default location is often changes from a user’s local Documents folder (inside My Computer) to Onedrive (Microsoft OneDrive), which may be confusing to users who do not realize their default save location has changed.
- Open the Office application where you want to change the default save location.
- Click on Options (usually at bottom-left)
- Click on Save (left-hand column)
- In the Save documents section (Word)/Save workbooks section (Excel)/Save presentations section (PowerPoint), please check the box for Save to Computer by default.
- Verify the Default local file location is set to the user’s preferred location.
- Hit ok to save your changes.