How do I Add a Student to a Cross-listed Course?
Cross-listed courses consist of one meta course and multiple child courses. A caveat of cross-listed courses is that you must add students to the child course not the meta course. Your changes will propagate up to the meta course. With the new Control Panel in CCLE Moodle, it is very easy to find child courses and then add students.
Follow these steps:
- Locate your meta course (the course that appears when you search CCLE*).
- Click on the “Control Panel” (yellow button in upper-right of screen).
- Choose the “Advanced Functions” tab.
- If your course is cross-listed, all of the children courses will appear here.
- Click on the “Assign Roles + Name of Child Course”.
- This will take you to the Assign Roles page for that child course.
- Click on “Student”.
- Search by Name.
- Click the “Add” arrow button.
Best Practice: Use the cclecourse theme for meta courses. Child courses can have different themes, if desired.
Note: Only Support Admins (and Admins) have this ability.
*Meta Courses and Child Courses use the same URL. However, when students log in they will be directed to the child course. When Support Admins log in they will be directed to the meta course.
For more information on cross-listed courses search “Moodle”, “crosslisted”.