Missing profile in Mozilla Thunderbird
An apparently unchanged Thunderbird installation suddenly lost all of its e-mail and settings, and a blank default profile in its place?
- Start Thunderbird with the Profile Manager to verify the displayed profile. Most Thunderbird users have only a single profile (default), so hover over the mouse to verify the profile name, which is likely some random characters ended with .default Then be sure to close Thunderbird before continuing.
- Go to the profile folder location (varies by OS) and check for profiles present. You will probably see two different profiles that end in .default and is the source of the problem; verify that one of the profiles is the correct one (probably dated older and with a larger size) and that the other is the incorrect (blank, empty account information) one; the latter probably has a newer date on it than the former and is much smaller (800KB or 8MB in size for a blank profile).
- After confirming the correct profile, delete the incorrect profile, then edit the profiles.ini file to point to the correct profile name.
- Before opening Thunderbird, you may wish to back up the user profile, simply copy the entire directly to another directory, or use a utility such as MozBackup.
- Open Thunderbird and confirm the correct profile comes up.
Reference (step 1): http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager#Accessing_the_Profile_Manager
Reference (step 2): http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird
Reference (step 3): http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profiles.ini_file