Sending very large files
How can I send a 50-megabyte file to a friend since it’s way too big for an e-mail attachment?
Many e-mail systems limit file attachments to no more that 5 or 10 megabytes in size.
Some services let you transfer files up to one size for free, and larger for a fee. Here are some of the more popular options. A more complete list can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_hosting_services.
- Dropbox is software that syncs your files online and across your computers. – Up to 2GB free, can pay for up to 100GB.
- drop.io – Simple real-time sharing, collaboration, and presentation
- Mozy.com – 2 GB of 100% free backup space. Unlimited backup $4.95/mo.
- http://www.pando.com has free and paid versions of its software for transferring files and works with both Windows and Macintosh systems. You can send files up to a gigabyte in size free. More with $5-a-month plan.
- http://www.yousendit.com lets you send files of up to 100 megabytes free or files up to two gigabytes in size with the company’s $5-a-month service.
- http://dropsend.com/ $0 to $100/mo. options for 250mb to 250gb, respectively
- http://www.senduit.com/ lets you send files that expire up to a week. 100MB limit.
- http://www.mailbigfile.com/ $0 for up to 512mb, no registration required. File is available up to 3 days or 3 downloads.
- http://www.JustBeamIt.com requires no registration, has no file size limit and allows only direct PC to PC transfers; the files don’t reside on the intermediary server.
- http://pogoplug.com allows you to inexpensively connect your own storage to cloud
- http://www.crashplan.com is a backup and sync service that can also backup your data to other computers on your network or across the Internet.
Some free or inexpensive online file-storage services let you mark certain files for sharing.
- http://www.apple.com/dotmac/ – Apple’s .Mac service also has a Public folder option
(This is in part a summary of a N.Y. Times article ‘Sending Giant Files’ By J. D. BIERSDORFER – February 8, 2007 )