Where can I find a place to upload and store my data?
There are lots of ways you can store your data for future use. Some things to keep in mind are:
- How long do I need to keep my data?
- Is my data in a format that can be used again, even if there are software and operating system changes?
- Am I required to store my data by a funding agency or legal requirement?
- Do I want others to be able to use my data without my help?
If you need to keep your data for more than one or two years; if you might need to deal with software upgrades; if you are required to store your data; or if you want to be able to easily share your data, then you should choose carefully. Selecting a site where your data are preserved is best , but if you just need a place to store stuff for awhile, then there are also some nice free sites.
If you need help deciding, please contact the Social Science Data Archive email@example.com.
Here are links to possible data storage sites:
- Buzz data – free or buy; doe not necessarily preserve for the future
- Figshare – free or buy; does not necessarily preserve for the future
- Dataverse – free; excellent long term preservation options
- ICPSR – free to members of the UCLA community; excellent long term preservation options
- CDL-Merritt – free and long term storage; limited long term preservation